Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Fun Weekend with the Family

Let me start by saying that I love the fact that I don't live in the same city as my family. Don't get me wrong, I love them (most of the time), I'm just glad I don't live near them. I am too far for them to "drop in" for dinner. But close enough to fly down for the weekend. Which means, of course, that occasionally I have to subject myself to the "Fun Weekend with the Family", and if you haven't already guessed, it is never fun.

For instance, my husband and I had discussed going to visit the family for a weekend this March. Maybe we would get a room at the Hotel Del and have the family come to us. Or maybe a room near the beach so we can relax with an evening stroll along the boardwalk and essentially find a little time to enjoy ourselves while we are there. Uh, no.

Not only did multiple family members seem offended that we weren't going to stay with them, they all seem to think that they aren't being allotted enough time with us. Yeah, it's great to be loved.

My first priority is to see my Dad. It is not an option for us to stay with him, thanks to his Evil Wife (EW), since it is her house now (even though he had always said it was our home too) and she doesn't want "guests" - although her family is always staying with them. I'll be lucky to get to see him for dinner (with EW) and even luckier if he squeezes in time for a breakfast - EW-free. Even though he is my priority, getting quality time with him is difficult - like chaperoned custody sessions.

Then there is Sister #1. She is fun! We go out, we dance, whatever we want to do. I'd be fine just spending my weekend with her (as long as I get a meal with Dad - which we can usually combine with Sister #1).

But, there's also Sister #2, who is too young to drive. Therefore, I can't see her without seeing my Aunt and Uncle and their family.

My Aunt and Uncle and their family... Even as a kid, their home was a black hole of time. You could make plans to be there for 2 hours on a Friday evening, and they'd manage to suck you in to staying (they have many tools, primarily guilt) until Sunday night. They were the most upset that we wouldn't be staying with them. Hello. They live in a 1200sq ft 3bed/1bath home with 4 adults already. Not a lot of room for 2.5 more (this is including me, hubby and Sister #2).

If we arrange for a weekend with one of any of the above, it is usually fairly manageable and we generally have a good time. BUT trying to squeeze all of them into one weekend, immediately we see that there isn't any time for hubby and me to enjoy ourselves. It looks like it is going to be another Fun Weekend with the Family.... maybe there's a reason I haven't booked it yet. Maybe my subconscious is trying to tell me something...

1 comment:

Maxwell said...

When did you become the kind of person that uses the word "hubby"?